Friday, August 31, 2012

A matter of perspective...

So being that I am choosing to tell my story through a video game, one must think about how that game is played. There are two perspectives that I am thinking of using. The traditional side scrolling style found in games like my all time favorite:

Out of this World



And OddWorld

Or I could go with another of my favorite game perspectives, the isometric view. This has been used in games like Metal Gear Solid and Vagrant Story. It gives an above the character view and is more condusive to non linear exploration.

Metal Gear Solid


Vagrant Story



Now based on the camera perspective I use, the gameplay will likely have to change.

If I go with the side scrolling camera, gameplay will be very based on platforming (jumping to different areas) and lock and key puzzles which will require pulling switches to open doors or move obsticles. Bacially the gameplay of Out of this World or Oddworld Abe's Oddysee

If I go with the isometric perspective I imagine the game to be much more maze like and exploration based. All interactions with enemies would be about stealth and avoidance.

I would love to hear suggestions in the comments!




2 comments:

  1. I think that Iso would be great. Side scrollers are nice but with your designs it'd be nice to see opened up gameplay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just mentioned my most favorite games! The sidescroller, has its own feel and magic to it and might require less work and planning than an isometric one. But I think the latter offers more possibilities to gameplay.

    ReplyDelete